The abdominal fats are very stubborn. It takes patience and commitment to get rid of the fats and build muscles. However, sometimes our daily schedules do not give us the allowance to hit the gym.
Do not worry because by the end of reading this article you will be a step closer to defining your abdominal region. Abdominal exercises are divided into three section (upper abs, lower abs, and oblique). It is recommended to do exercises for all the sections for a proportional abdominal area. Here are some abdominal exercise for women at home that does not require sophisticated training equipment:
1. Mountain Climb Exercises
This is one of the best abdominal exercises. It engages all the three abdominal sections. It is good for burning calories and works some major muscle blocks. It tests your endurance, balance, coordination, and agility. The motion stimulates healthy blood circulation and enhances flexibility. However, if you are experiencing back pains or pregnant this exercise is not recommended. Mountain climb exercise is physically demanding.
- The alignment of your body is important. It will help you achieve the maximum benefits of your workout.
- Assume a push-up position with your arms directly beneath your shoulders.
- Set your feet apart at hip level to facilitate your movement.
- Align your spine parallel to the floor and suck up your stomach.
- Slowly move your right leg up till your knee is close to your chest as possible (ensure you maintain your body alignment).
- Return your right leg to position and repeat the motion with your left leg.
- Continue the workout by alternating your legs and accelerating your pace.
Plank exercise focuses on using your body weight to strengthen your core. This exercise engages all your abdominal muscles and burns a lot of calories. Regular plank exercise improves your posture and balance, enhance your coordination, and reduce back pain. However, if you are experiencing pelvic pains or overweight this exercise is not recommended.
- Use a mat to reduce elbow injuries.
- Assume the push-up position and bend your elbows.
- Ensure that your elbows are directly beneath your shoulders.
- Align your spine parallel to the floor.
- Hold your body rigidly in that position (tighten your stomach to hold your back and spine in position).
- Hold for at least 30 seconds then come out of the pose.
- Tip: Keep your breathing pattern regular.
Crunches engage your entire abdominal muscles. It tests your endurance, flexibility, agility, and stability. It is one of the most efficient abdominal exercise that you can do at home. It burns a good amount of calories, strengthens your core, and it can improve your posture. However, if you experience lower back pain or osteoporosis, this exercise is not recommended.
- Lie facing the ceiling and press your feet firmly on the ground a comfortable distance from your waist.
- Lock your hands behind your head and open your elbows so that they face away from your head.
- Slightly tilt your chin inwards and tighten your core muscles.
- Lift your torso off the ground (let your core muscles feel the impact).
- Hold the elevated position for 3 seconds then slowly return to starting posture.
- Repeat the motion around 12 times.
- Tips: Exercise at a pace that you are comfortable with and you can coordinate well the movements.
4. Russian Twists
Russian twists are efficient when it comes to strengthening your core and lower back. It engages all the muscles around your abdominal region. This exercise is important for women to burn fats and tone their abdominal region. The exercise also increases your flexibility and stability. It is a fun exercise to engage in when you get used to it.
- Sit on a mat or floor.
- Bend your knees slightly and plant your feet on the ground.
- Suspend your torso around 45 degrees off the floor (maintain a straight spine).
- Put your palms together in front of you.
- Rotate your torso from the abdominal region while moving your hands from one side of your hip to the other and reverse.
- Repeat the motion for 30 seconds or more (take a minute break after each set).